Firstly: what the heck is a cutlet? I know I’ve used the word in my title so I feel like I should know, but I really have no clue. Is it basically just anything that’s this round shape? Google is not helping me, and even the Wikipedia page seems to imply that a cutlet can be about a million different things. I think it’s like the word ‘salad’ in that it really has no actual meaning.
Having said that: veggie cutlets! Yeah! This version is made with carrots and white beans (cannellini beans) and I think these little cutlets might just be the best thing ever. Firstly: they require no pre-cooking. That’s right – no need to faff around frying up vegetables or boiling potatoes, nosiree. Just mix together your raw ingredients, shape them into cutlets, and bake. Job done.
Secondly, they’re the perfect thing to take pride of place on your dinner plate. I love using a combination of eggs and breadcrumbs to create a hearty, dense, chewy (you get the picture) texture, like I did with my sun-dried tomato and pine nut sausages. Add some cannellini beans and the heartiness factor goes off the charts. Who needs meat when you’ve got these babies? Cheddar cheese, carrots and coriander give the perfect festive flavour, which brings me on to…
Number three. Wouldn’t these be just perfect for your vegetarian Christmas dinner? They went really well with my roasted vegetables and gravy, but I’m thinking it would have been even better if I’d had some roast potatoes, Yorskhire puddings, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, brussels sprouts, and all that other stuff we eat excessive amounts of on Christmas Day. Perhaps followed by some Christmas pudding and heaps of Roses chocolates?
Sorry for mentioning Christmas in seemingly every post these days, by the way. It’s the damn tree, the piney smell has permeated my brain and is stopping me thinking about anything else. Non-Christmassy recipe coming up next time, promise!
(by the way you could totally shape these into flat patty shapes if you wanted to make veggie burgers instead – I just wanted to make something more festive!)
- 50g bread (2 small slices)
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained (240g when drained)
- 1 medium carrot (~150g), grated
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 3tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 egg
- Black pepper
- Heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F), and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Put the bread in a food processor, and blitz until you get breadcrumbs. Coarsely mash the cannellini beans (don't mash them completely - you want some chunks or even whole beans left), and combine the breadcrumbs and beans with the remaining ingredients. Mix well and season generously.
- Divide the mixture into four, and shape each section into a thick cutlet. Place on the lined baking tray, and bake for between 45 minutes and 1 hour, until the cutlets are firm and crispy.
More carrot recipes:
Creamy carrot and brie pasta
Caramelised carrot and coriander risotto
Carrot and cheddar bites
Steel-cut carrot cake oatmeal from Kitchen Treaty
Skinny garlic fried rice from Pinch of Yum
Easy red lentil soup from Gimme Some Oven