This is the. best. sandwich. I have ever. made. Do you need more full stops to convince you? Yes. Oh. my. word.
Halloumi, sun-dried tomatoes, rocket. Thick white bread. The sort of sandwich I’d be totally happy with if I was given it at one of those posh cafés that serve bags of crisps for £2 each. The sort of sandwich that would make me go back there again and again. Instead, I will just make it again and again at home. And again. And then just one more time.
Our engagement party was a success, by the way (because I know you were all wondering). However, after eating my weight in crisps and dip, and drinking my weight in wine (whoops), I pretty much feel like I never need to consume anything ever again. You know, until next weekend. So a sandwich was the perfect light lunch for today – enough to stop me being hungry, but not so much that I feel all gross and overly full.
Ugh. I can’t get enough. It’s just beautiful.
(PS. if you like halloumi you should also try my halloumi and pineapple pancake! It’s ace)
- 100g halloumi cheese
- 2 thick slices white bread (choose something nice and fresh)
- 1tbsp mayonnaise (I use light mayo)
- Small handful fresh rocket
- 1 large piece sun-dried tomato, drained and finely chopped
- Black pepper
- Slice the halloumi, and place in a frying pan (if you have a good, non-stick pan, you shouldn't need any oil at all. If your pan is prone to sticking, just use a little spray oil). Place over a medium heat, and leave to cook. The cheese will release some liquid, and then once the liquid has cooked off, it will begin to brown. Don't touch it for around 5 minutes. Once the underside is golden brown, flip the cheese slices over and cook the other side (this side will cook a lot quicker - just a minute or two - because it no longer has any liquid to release).
- While the cheese is cooking, spread the mayonnaise on one (or both) of the slices of bread. Top one slice with the rocket and the chopped sun-dried tomato.
- When the cheese is golden, place it on top of the rocket, and add a little black pepper. Top with the second slice of bread, and eat immediately.