In true new year’s resolution style, I’m starting the year with a nice healthy recipe – this warm brown rice salad with roasted aubergine and pistachios. I must say, considering this recipe is on the healthier side (there’s no cheese or chocolate, at least), it’s delicious – plenty of yummy bits. Sun-dried tomatoes, pistachio nuts, capers, lots of fresh herbs… it all adds up to a seriously delicious brown rice salad.
Not forgetting that roasted aubergine…
I can’t quite decide whether roasted aubergine looks really tasty, or just a bit weird and wrinkly (I suppose a bit of both), but the important thing is that it tastes awesome. So it’s got that going for it. Just don’t look at it too closely, as it does look slightly alien.
I chopped all my ingredients quite coarsely, so they all retain their own texture and you get something different in each bite. The crunchy pistachios, chewy sun-dried tomatoes, juicy roasted aubergine…
I’m so glad I still have some leftovers in the fridge. That’s my lunch sorted. This brown rice salad works really well as a light lunch or dinner on its own, or you can serve it as a side dish if you’d prefer. Delicious, beautiful and versatile.
How do you feel about new year’s resolutions? I know some people think that you should pursue your goals all year round, not just in January – but I figure every little helps, no? I’d rather eat healthily and be more organised (which are always two of my resolutions) for a few weeks out of the year than not at all. So I say, resolve away. Especially if it tastes this good.
- 1 medium aubergine (eggplant), cut into 1 inch dice
- 1 tbsp oil
- Black pepper
- 200g (~ 1 cup) brown rice
- Small handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Small handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ~ 6 large pieces sun-dried tomato, roughly chopped
- 50g (~ ¼ cup) pistachio nuts (whole or roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Toss the diced aubergine in a little oil with some salt and pepper, and spread it out in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast at 180°C (Gas Mark 4 / 350°F) for around 25 minutes, or until the aubergine is soft and juicy.
- Meanwhile, boil the brown rice in plenty of water until cooked to your liking (around 20 minutes). Drain, and transfer the rice to a large mixing bowl.
- To the rice, add the remaining ingredients, including the roasted aubergine. Mix well to combine, and serve warm.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for 1/4 of the recipe.