WHERE HAS THE SUN GONE? The weather has been glorious for the last week, but this is England – we should have known it wouldn’t last. It’s Juuuune, and today is cloudy and rainy. Not good! So, in the spirit of things happening at entirely the wrong time, it’s nearly dinner time and here I am posting a breakfast recipe. Breakfast tostadas, to be precise – crispy tortillas topped with refried beans, spinach, a fried egg, feta cheese, coriander, roasted tomatoes… unnngh. I generally prefer dinner-type meals to lunch- or breakfast-type dishes – I tend to stick to Bran Flakes with milk for breakfast, which isn’t the most exciting thing to wake up to – but if every breakfast was like this I’d happily jump out of bed even in the dark depths of winter (which will probably start arriving next week at this rate).
Completely unrelated, I have a question for you. I’ve been thinking of doing occasional non-recipe posts, maybe something to do with crafts, wedding planning, blogging, or any other random things that I feel like talking about. It would only be, maybe, once a fortnight or so – the focus of this blog will definitely stay on simple vegetarian recipes, but I feel like branching out a little. I love to write, but I don’t feel like I get much of an opportunity to practise when everything I write has to be geared around one particular recipe, so it’d be nice to write something a bit less structured. Any opinions? Would you still read, or would you all run for the hills? Because I think that might make me cry.
So talk to me! Let me know whatcha reckon. Would you be happy to see more varied posts here, or do you like just having recipe after recipe?
Then go and make yourself some breakfast tostadas and tell me that you agree with me when I say they’re the best breakfast everrrrr.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2tbsp oil
- Black pepper
- 2 mini flour tortillas
- 6tbsp refried beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 30g fresh spinach
- 2 eggs
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Halve the tomatoes, and lay them cut-side up in a baking tray. Drizzle lightly with oil, and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lay the tortillas on a baking sheet, and spread with the refried beans. Add to the oven with the tomatoes for the final 10 minutes of cooking time, until they are warm and the edges are beginning to crisp up.
- While the tortillas and tomatoes are in the oven, heat a little more oil in a non-stick frying pan, and cook the garlic and spinach over a medium-low heat for several minutes, until the spinach is wilted. Push the spinach to the side of the pan, and crack in the two eggs. Cook over a medium heat until the white is fully set.
- To construct the tostadas, add the spinach and fried egg to the refried bean tortillas, and top with the crumbled feta and chopped coriander, and serve alongside the roasted tomatoes.