Since it’s now ‘officially’ summer (though you’d never know it judging by today’s weather), I figured I’d better start using more tomatoes and other things that are far better during the summer months. Plus, these brie and avocado toasts are a great use for all that roasted garlic you made the other day. Just spread some garlic on a fresh sub roll, and top with smashed avocado, sliced tomato and some fat chunks of brie, then grill it until it’s all melty. Absolutely heavenly. Somehow avocado on toast tastes even more decadent than using butter, despite being far better for you and containing good fats rather than saturated fats. That’s the sort of substitution I can really go for.
On an entirely unrelated note, does anyone have a Fitbit Flex? I just discovered them the other day and now I want one pretty desperately. I’ve always thought it would be really cool to know all sorts of statistics about my life – how far have I ever walked? How many times have I ever hugged someone? How often do I scratch my nose? Okay, so some of those are more interesting than others, and I’m sure a Fitbit can’t detect nose scratching, but it does track distance and number of steps walked, calories burned, and even tracks your sleep cycles. There are also little lights that light up to show you how close to your daily goal you are. Considering I’m a bit obsessed with statistics (you don’t want to know how often I check my Google Analytics) I reckon I could enjoy one of these. They’re £80 though so if anyone has one and has any advice about whether they’re worth it, I’d love to hear your opinions!
Ooh, another thing that’s only good in the summer – strawberries! One good thing about all the terrible weather we’ve been having is that apparently this year’s strawberries are even better than usual. You can’t beat a good British strawberry.
- 6-inch submarine roll or baguette
- 1tsp roasted garlic (~2 cloves) – see below
- ½ avocado
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 50g brie, sliced
- 10g cheddar, finely grated (optional)
- Black pepper
- Rocket, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F).
- Cut the submarine roll in half lengthwise, and spread each half with the roasted garlic and then the avocado. Top with the slices of tomato and brie, and sprinkle over the cheddar if using. Add some black pepper.
- Place on a baking tray, and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the bread is slightly crispy. Alternatively, you can put it under the grill (broiler) for a few minutes if you’re short on time.
- Serve with fresh rocket if desired.
Click to find out how to make roasted garlic.